England U21s 1-2 Germany U21s: Visitors snatch victory in injury time

England's Under-21s suffered their first defeat in 20 games ahead of this summer's European Championship as Germany's Stefan Kuntz once again left these shores feeling victorious.
This was Kuntz's first involvement in a game here since he featured in the Euro 1996 final at Wembley Stadium, days after breaking English hearts in the semi-finals.
The former forward scored the equaliser against England 23 years ago then the fifth penalty in the shootout before now-Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate missed the decisive spot-kick. 
Southgate was here at the Vitality Stadium to watch Aidy Boothroyd's Young Lions, having landed back from Montenegro at 5am, and saw Felix Uduokhai score a stoppage-time winner.
It perhaps should not have counted, however, considering England had Kyle Walker-Peters down holding his head as they scored. There was no stoppage and the youngsters suffered a rare defeat.
Kuntz's side represented a tough test for England's youngsters on the South Coast. They won the last Under-21 Euros in Poland two years ago and looked slick throughout.
They took the lead in the 27th minute when Arne Maier chipped a ball over England defender Dael Fry before Mahmoud Dahoud chested it down and fired into the bottom corner.
The visitors' Luca Waldschmidt then smacked the post from inside 10 yards before Nadiem Amiri of Hoffenheim made a mess of the rebound from close range.
England equalised before the break when Maier tried to clear, only for the ball to bounce off Dominic Solanke and leave the striker with an empty net.
Bournemouth's Solanke had not scored for his club's first team since signing for £19million from Liverpool at the Vitality Stadium, though he had now done so for his country's Under-21s.
Phil Foden – once again looking lively, just as he did in the friendly against Poland last week – fired a 20-yard effort into the side-netting as England chased the win.
Yet it was Germany who got the late goal, though it was controversial.
England's Walker-Peters was down but referee Marco Di Bello allowed play to continue. In the vacant space in front of Dean Henderson's goal, Uduokhai scored.

No comments found