A father accused of plotting an acid attack on his young son wanted to 'mark the child' to win back his estranged wife, a UK court has heard.
He and six others deny being involved in the attack on July 21, 2018, in a discount store in central England that left the child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, seriously burned.
Prosecutors allege the father, who cannot be identified, recruited others to attack his son after his wife left him in 2016 and took the children, the BBC reported.
He stands trial at Worcester Crown Court along with Adam Cech, 27, of Birmingham; Jan Dudi, 25, of Birmingham; Norbert Pulko, 22, of London; Martina Badiova, 22, of Birmingham; Saied Hussini, 42, of London, and Jabar Paktia, 42, of Wolverhampton.
Hussini's barrister Lauren Soertsz said the father claimed if the woman lost the custody battle, she would scrap her divorce actions.
Miss Soertsz questioned the father about a discussion he had with Hussini.
She said: 'What you said your solicitor had stated is that you should mark the child and then blame the mother.'
But the father declared that was 'not the truth'.
The father also denied showing Hussini a badminton racquet that was adapted to hide a 'knife blade' in its wooden handle, which could be used to 'mark' the child.
The court was told how in mid June last year social services granted custody in favour of the mother after a court hearing to determine custody had been postponed.
Miss Soertsz put to the father that he had told Hussini he had one week to hurt one of the children.
She alleged the father along with Paktia and Hussini had discussed a planned attack with Pulko, who suggested using acid.
But the father denied knowing Pulko.
Miss Soertsz alleged the father obtained the acid ahead of a previous aborted attack on July 13 last year, which he also denies.
The trial continues.